Summertime means fun time for most of us. This is the season where most of us start to spend more time outdoors and participate in fun events with family and friends like swimming at the lake, golfing with some friends, going for a bike ride with your family – the list can go on and on.
There are some safety tips to keep in mind that can protect your health this summer. A few simple tips can be followed to keep a good time what it is meant to be:
1) Prevent sunburns. Over exposure to sunlight can cause an uncomfortable sunburn and repeated over exposure can lead to skin cancer. When you are outside in the sun between 10:00AM and 4:00PM, cover up or wear sunscreens to protect your skin.
2) Keep hydrated. Outdoor activities, heat and sun can make our bodies become dehydrated faster than normal. Keep the fluids coming so that you don’t get dehydrated while enjoying the outdoors.
3) Keep food safe. Picnics and BBQs are great summer activities but eating improperly stored food can lead to food poisoning. Keep cold foods cold and hot foods hot to ensure that no one gets sick when you are trying to have a good time.
4) When swimming in lakes this summer, avoid getting “swimmer’s itch”. Washing yourself off with clean water after you get out of the lake may prevent getting this infection. Pay attention to any health warnings posted at the lake you are swimming at and obey any warnings that may be posted.
5) Limit mosquito exposure. Mosquitoes can carry the West Nile virus. When you are outdoors, stay covered up to avoid getting bitten and use a mosquito repellant on exposed skin to reduce your chances of being a mosquito’s meal.
These are just a few basic tips to try to keep you safe while you enjoy the summer. For more information, speak with your Apple Drugs pharmacist.